Whew!!! Who would have thought that I would have ended up training for a State Bikini Competition???
Since HS I have really never set a personal goal for myself as an adult. My weight has always been an issue for me and going off to college I gained a freshman 40 instead of the traditional 15. In May of 2010 I decided to make a change and reached out to Kim Porterfield at Institute of Eating Management. My best friend Kelsey Byers had her own fitness journey with Kim going but mine was just beginning. I would say this is when my adult goal began to develop.
My first visit with Kim was pretty rough. I cried and poured my heart out into my disappointment with myself and my image of always being the "bigger" one of my group of friends. However, I knew my bad habits of eating out several times a week and consecutive Happy Hours had caught up to me. I was tired of dreading the summer and being at the pool and hated never being able to find outfits that were less than a size 10 or 12. I mean I was 26, no kids never been married...why shouldn't I been enjoying my 20's?? I remember telling Kim...I look at other fit people and wonder what "clicked" inside their head to just make a change. She told me they got to where you are now and made a change, that's all. Kim set me up eating 5 times a day and kept everything really easy to follow. In 2010 I lost 7% body fat and around 17 lbs going from 147 down to 130.
Well during the summer I started dating someone and kept the meal plan pretty strict but still drank and went to the gym like I was supposed to, however October until January 2011 I didn't see Kim. Going back to her in January I had gained body fat back but maintained my weight, actually I lost weight and was down to 121...which is weird how that works but basically I lost all my muscle. Dating is really hard when you're trying to meet fitness goals. Simply because the main forms of entertainment these days is eating out and going out drinking. So in January I put my focus goggles back on and got to work. In the back of my head I was having a hard time staying motivated to be honest. I mean making a goal of 20% or less body fat for bathing suit season just is kind of a hard goal especially since when I get in a bathing suit I don't feel like I look bad and I am more comfortable than I have ever been.
At this point I begin talking to my bestie Kelsey about my lack of motivation and just how its hard for me to stay focused on such a general short term goal of swim suit season. She suggested booking a photo shoot with a local photographer kind of a gift to myself for reaching my goals and said it makes a difference when you're paying for it!! So I pondered on that idea for about 2 months. Meanwhile she also begins sticking a bug in my ear about competing, I pretty much write off the idea. As of June 6, 2011 I was at 30% body fat...to compete I need to be 16% or less---yeah YIKES, that's what I said. Well on June 6th I met with Kim and we discovered it is possible to do it....IF I really wanted it. My body thus far has been extremely receptive to fat loss as long as I am consistent in the gym and eating clean so I said why the heck not then!!
At that point I mentally committed myself to competing October 15, 2011 in the NPC Bikini Competition in Stafford, TX. My bestie Kelsey is also competing in a different height class of course since I am a midget and she's an amazon woman but I am so happy to be taking this journey with her and have her support. The day after my appointment with Kim I sent and email to my friends and family sharing with them my goal and asked for moral support, I have been so overwhelmed with love and well wishes so early on...that's what keeps me going right now.
I will be seeing Kim every 2 weeks until my competition and she will be tweaking my meal plan, work out plan and measuring me along the way so I will be keeping up with my progress. Monday June 20th will be 2 weeks from starting my competition meal plan and I have to say I feel great and I feel leaner already which is really strange to say.
I am excited to see the transformation over the next 16 weeks although right now my patience is really low...I want to be there already!!! Keep me in your prayers!!!
I wrote this for those of you who maybe don't know my journey and to encourage you!! I am not going to lie, it's hard and if you don't have support around you it makes it harder. I consider my change in 2010 to have been a lifestyle change and I can't imagine ever going back to what I was doing before. Who knows where this new path will take me but I am just excited for the journey and so thankful to Kim, Kelsey and my friends and family for their ongoing support and love. Yeah the outside is changing but my heart, state of mind and attitude has changed the most really. My perception of myself and what I want from life has become more defined over the past year and I value that more than the physical results I have experienced. I can only wish these wonderful things for you too if you choose to make a change down the road as well!! Best wishes!!
Love,
Diane
No comments:
Post a Comment